RE: Oracle DBMS on bitlocker-protected volumes

From: Herbener, Martin - Division of Engineering and Management <martin.herbener_at_education.ky.gov>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:10:59 +0000

Perhaps, though I may not have an option to buy new drives either; plus some of our databases are on virtual machines.

Thanks

Martin

From: Justin Cave (DDBC) [mailto:jcave_at_ddbcinc.com] Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2014 3:34 PM To: Herbener, Martin - Division of Engineering and Management; Oracle-L_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Oracle DBMS on bitlocker-protected volumes

Would using self-encrypting hard drives be an alternative? That would make me much more comfortable than a software-based solution. I've haven't seen much overhead on the systems where self-encrypting drives are used (though those have mostly been OLTP systems not DW systems so physical I/O isn't as significant a bottleneck).

Justin Cave

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] on behalf of Herbener, Martin - Division of Engineering and Management [martin.herbener_at_education.ky.gov] Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2014 2:08 PM To: Oracle-L_at_freelists.org<mailto:Oracle-L_at_freelists.org> Subject: Oracle DBMS on bitlocker-protected volumes Hi,

Any experience with Oracle DBMS (11g or 12c) using Bitlocker-protected volumes (on Windows 2012 or 2012 R2)? Or alternatively encrypting data files using Windows Encrypting File System? I don't think I can afford Advanced Security so TDE is I think not an option...

Thanks!

Martin

Martin Herbener
Kentucky Department of Education