RE: DB Merge Ideas?

From: Nabil Jamaleddin <nmjamaleddin_at_multiservice.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 08:31:36 -0600

Some random thoughts after a nice cup of coffee:

Don’t forget to make sure you won’t have role, public synonym, or (hard to imagine ) sequence problems. If your character sets are the same between all the databases, I like the idea of transportable tablespaces.

Tables having the same name is not a problem at all.

Directories could be a problem. If two databases use the same directory name/path it might cause problems.

Profiles could be an issue but doubtful. Don’t forget to bring over oracle jobs, cronjobs and to make sure your database monitoring will not have problems.

Don’t forget to keep in mind the SqlNet problems of redirection of databases.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Michael Cunningham Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:51 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists org
Subject: DB Merge Ideas?

Hello list,

We have 16 similar instances that we want to merge into a single instance. I'm looking for input on the best method. Below is all I could think of to help.

Oracle 12.1.0.1 on Linux

All instances exist on the same server.

ASM is being used. Currently one diskgroup for all instances.

No tables have the same name.

The tablespaces that matter do not have the same name between databases (one db is TBS0, another is TBS1, and so on).

Each is around 500GB (5.5TB total).

We do not have golden gate license.

Any thoughts?

I'm thinking of transportable tablespaces, but I'm looking for other input. I need to minimize downtime.

--

Michael Cunningham

--

This email is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, or both. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify the sender and delete the email.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Dec 18 2014 - 15:31:36 CET

Original text of this message