quick statistics question

From: Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 06:25:21 -0900

We just migrated our reporting instance from 10g to 11g and I planned to let Oracle do all the
statistics gathering using the automatic jobs. Unfortunately, I also imported the statistics from
the old database as part of the migration and now I have queries that are consistently hanging.

I think I need a sanity check. Does it make sense to delete the statistics on the tables
involved in these queries, and then gather them with the basic gather table stats statement?

Since these are all materialized views that get refreshed (either complete or fast) just about
every night, I was hoping that Oracle would just decide that statistics needed to be generated
on them after they were refreshed.

  • Maureen