Re: Questions on ASM best practices

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 16:23:34 +0100 (CET)

Hi Jeremy,

>> Remember that ASM will automatically use the smaller stripe size for redo logs; you don't have to configure that.

Unfortunately not anymore. This changed with 11.2, but the documentation does not keep up with it. The default for redo log files is COARSE nowadays as well.

SQL> select distinct name, stripe from v$asm_template;

NAME                           STRIPE
------------------------------ ------
ASMPARAMETERFILE               COARSE
DATAFILE                       COARSE
BACKUPSET                      COARSE
AUTOBACKUP                     COARSE
OCRBACKUP                      COARSE
ONLINELOG                      COARSE   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
DATAGUARDCONFIG                COARSE
CONTROLFILE                    FINE
CHANGETRACKING                 COARSE
ARCHIVELOG                     COARSE