Re: Re: Memory operations on Sun/Oracle M class servers vs T class servers

From: <l.flatz_at_bluewin.ch>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:37:10 +0000

Hi Finn,

some years ago I discovered an issue on Solaris where the CPU ws slowed down by MMON. We did a similar test observing the performance of select from dual in a loop. The work around was shutting down automatic memory management. Thus for me it looks clearly like you have an issue here and it looks familiar.

As for the CPU architecture I think your argument about the cores sharing a infrastructure makes sense. I could work with IBM P7 recently. The acrchicture of the P7 is compareable in the sense that ist is also trying to squeeze more out of the core by adding threads. Actually for demanding loads as highperforming databases the idea will not work out. IBM here suggests to switch off some core for more power on the database load (TurboCore: http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/power/trends/ibmannouncements/power7_unveiled/TurboCore,-Active-Memory-Expansion-and-More/). Unforntunately it seems the trend is in favour of more threads, as the P8 shows.

Regards

Lothar