Sony Hack / Knee Jerk Reaction Mitigation (Looking for input)

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 09:55:40 -0600

Ok guys/gals,

Management wants to protect everything from a Sony-like hack. What that means, I'm not sure and I am still working with them to define what they want from a database perspective.

From a database perspective, it appears that at a minimum they're wanting to encrypt confidential information stored in the databases so that if someone did get ahold of the data (or into the db), that the information would be useless without being able to decrypt it.

What I'm looking for (as an encryption newbie) is an overview of how encryption works between the encypted data and applications that consume it (and database links as well).

Does anyone know of a whitepaper or presentation showing "encryption in action" - showing a sample setup of encryption in the db and how to get applications to be able to decrypt it and consume it?

I'm wanting to gain an understanding of how the pieces work together as I don't have that currently.

Thoughts?

Chris Taylor