Re: Slightly OT: Flash Storage

From: Dave Morgan <oracle_at_1001111.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 09:52:49 -0700

All of our client's production datafiles are on RAID 0 equivalent flash. Sizes range from 100G to just under 9TB. One client has a lot of redo, one set of their redo files is on flash.

It is the most cost effective performance increase available today. Much cheaper than attempting to teach duhvelopers to take pride in their work.

Our first flash installs were probably 3-4 years ago. We insist on RAID 0 functional equivalence. We have yet to perform a recovery (or transfer to the hot backup) due to flash hardware failure. I expect the redo flash described above will be the first to cause us issues. We are ready :)

None of our clients think it is cost effective to use flash on the hot backups or anywhere else.

YMMV
Dave

--

Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited dave.morgan_at_1001111.com

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Sun Dec 14 2014 - 17:52:49 CET

Original text of this message