Re: ACFS for Database Files

From: Martin Bach <development_at_the-playground.de>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 09:35:49 +0100

Hello all,

this is indeed the future direction, at least for the Oracle Database Appliance, see here:
https://blogs.oracle.com/ODA/entry/oracle_database_appliance_12_1

Quoting Tammy Bednar:

" Each new Oracle Database version 12.1.0.2 or 11.2.0.4 will be created in Oracle’s clustered file system, ACFS. ACFS is a highly performant and highly available cluster file system that is built on top of Oracle ASM. It is fully integrated with the Grid Infrastructure and is database-IO aware. "

So indeed we will start seeing a lot more on ACFS I guess. And because of that I started looking into this a bit more closely, since ACFS gives you snapshots on the file system:

https://martincarstenbach.wordpress.com/2014/12/12/ukoug-post-conference-geek-update-part-1-acfs-for-oracle-databases/

Next up is a bit of performance testing in the lab :)

Martin

Enkitec