RE: OEM Cloud Control 12c Groups

From: Courtney Llamas <courtney.llamas_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 07:10:59 -0800 (PST)

There’s a couple of different types of groups in 12c you can use:

Administrative – Hierarchy of groups based on target properties, targets added dynamically based on target property settings, target can reside in only one leaf of the admin group, and templates can be applied automatically and synchronized regularly

Dynamic – targets added dynamically based on target property settings, targets can reside in many groups, no automation of templates

Normal – Targets are added manually, targets can reside in many groups, no automation of templates

Most customers start with Admin group for purpose of monitoring metrics and templates, and then use dynamic groups where the Admin groups don’t fit in…

Here’s a blog I put out on the subject - http://courtneyllamas.com/organizing-oracle-enterprise-manager-targets/

And a whitepaper that I’d really recommend reading!  http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/oem/sys-mgmt/wp-em12c-monitoring-strategies-1564964.pdf

--

Regards, Courtney

HYPERLINK "http://www.oracle.com/" \nOracle Courtney Llamas | Consulting Member of Technical Staff, Strategic Customer Programs Phone: HYPERLINK "tel:+1%202814108258"+1 2814108258 | Mobile: HYPERLINK "tel:+1%208324720596"+1 8324720596 Oracle Systems and Applications Management 1200 Smith Street | Houston, TX 77002

HYPERLINK "http://www.oracle.com/commitment" \nGreen Oracle

From: Zabair Ahmed [mailto:roon987_at_yahoo.co.uk] Sent: Monday, December 08, 2014 8:59 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: OEM Cloud Control 12c Groups

Hello All,

I am fairly new to Oracle Enterprise Manager whether that is 10g/11g or 12c.

We have recently deployed OEM 12c CC 12.1.0.3 on Linux and was wondering how other people manage their database estate using OEM.

Due to the difficulty in identifying a long list  targets within Cloud Control with the host naming conventions in use, we need to split the environments into logical groups, DEV, QA1, QA2, PT, Prod Mirror,  DBA etc. I know this is possible within OEM - but what is the difference between a 'Normal Group' and a 'Adminstration Group' .

I guess what I am after is a general how do people manage hundreds possibly thousands of targets in OEM and to quickly identify to what a particular environment that target belongs to?

TIA.

Zabair

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Mon Dec 08 2014 - 16:10:59 CET