RE: Outgrowing Standard Edition

From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 10:55:38 -0800

I should have clarified that sharding implies mutiple independent databases (shards), each with a portion of the data. The application to which I was referring was multi-tenanted and the tenant ID was propagated to most tables. This allowed most tables to be equi-partitioned on the tenant ID. The remaining tables were replicated to all databases; for example, configuration tables were held in a master database and these tables were then replicated to all the shards. Iggy

From: iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Outgrowing Standard Edition Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 10:45:14 -0800

re: when/why to just do this
The business keeps wanting to push more transactions through. Eventually you will hit the limits of Standard Edition which is limited to four sockets. From the current pricing sheet at http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/technology-price-list-070617.pdf: "When licensing Oracle programs with Standard Edition One or Standard Edition in the product name (with the exception of Java SE Support, Java SE Advanced, and Java SE Suite), a processor is counted equivalent to an occupied socket; however, in the case of multi-chip modules, each chip in the multi-chip module is counted as one occupied socket." There are other bottlenecks; for example, the log writer. So the question is when the business will hit the limits of the current architecture. I do know of at least one large application which gets away with standard edition but that's because they adopted a sharded design at the outset. Which prompts me to ask the question: how much more would you be able to scale with Enterprise Edition? Iggy
P.S. Partition pruning could be handled in the application tier but partition views but they still work in 12c. They have some interesting capabilities which are unavailable in mainstream partitioning; for example, remote partitions, different physical design for different partitions, and separate optimization for each partition.

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 19:51:38 +0000
From: dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Outgrowing Standard Edition

  Hi All,
We have an in-house application which has grown very rapidly. It's running on Standard Edition and we've been jumping through hoops to work around the edition limitations (scripted standby, partition views, manually parallelizing operations, maintenance outages etc.) but the business keep wanting to push more transactions through and simultaneously demand less downtime for releases / maintenance. I feel that at some point we need to bite the bullet and move to another platform (presumably Enterprise Edition with partitioning, although it's just possible another vendor altogether). The business naturally don't want to pay the big uplift in licence costs and keep asking for more (and increasingly complex) workarounds. I'm just looking to draw on other people's experiences on when they determine they need to make the leap to Enterprise - what are the critical factors? What made you say we just can't keep on Standard Edition any more? (I know this is a woolly question but guess I'm just looking for confirmation that we really are in that area). Please note I'm just wanting to discuss WHEN/WHY we need to stop hacking fixes and just do this, I'm NOT looking for people to try to sell me licences! :-) Many thanks!Charlotte