Re: setting memory_target < memory_max_target

From: Frits Hoogland <frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2014 17:57:56 +0100

So you have some memory left which is not worn-out when you need it.

No, you are right: it doesn’t make sense on most platforms. I believe on solaris the memory is truly allocated if you start using it, not during allocation time, so setting memory_target smaller than memory_max_target results in using only the amount specified by memory_target, so indeed you have spare memory left you can use.

At the end, it still means you save memory, even on solaris, which doesn’t make sense to me; it makes way more sense to allocate the resources you have in your system, instead of saving them, from a performance perspective.

But it also doesn’t make sense to me to use memory_target, because it can’t use huge pages (outside of solaris).

Frits Hoogland

http://fritshoogland.wordpress.com <http://fritshoogland.wordpress.com/> frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com <mailto:frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com> Office : +31 20 5939953
Mobile: +31 6 14180860