Re: Hello some idea to include a contract clause to protect against virtual machines

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 09:44:58 -0700

Paul,

Not sure what recent interpretations you've seen, but to my knowledge the issue has been left in a gray area by Oracle, perhaps deliberately?

As a result, VMware is advising their Oracle customers <http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vmw-understanding-oracle-certification-supportlicensing-environments.pdf> on how to navigate through that legal gray zone, with the basic idea that customers should virtualize but track/audit to prove that they did not implement virtualization contrary to the *intent* of Oracle licensing policies.

As far as Oracle's well-known threat to "withhold support for installations on VMware" (also addressed in the article), we have had several discussions about this here on the ORACLE-L list, including an informal poll asking if anyone has ever experienced this withholding of support. As I recall, nobody could substantiate this ever happening, so it might be considered a very slim (to non-existent) possibility.

Hope this helps...

-Tim