Re: Changing characterset from AR8ISO8859P6 to AR8MSWIN1256

From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 16:53:29 -0500

We are upgrading our database from 10g to 11g but we need also to change character set from AR8ISO8859P6 to AR8MSWIN1256 , i run scan utility and it showed me loosy data ,which are arabic words. I did export from 10g and import to 11g and set NLS_LANG to AR8MSWIN1256 but still data in arabic shows as garbage , what i missed ? what are corrrect steps for this migration.

Why not make sure character set conversion work on 10g first before upgrading to 11g. My guess is the previous character encoding was not handling Arabic correctly.

And if you have to do character conversation now, why not go for unicode? It's more prudent in my humble opinion

William