Fwd: Re: Remote Oracle Directory for LOB loading

From: natalka roshak <natalka.roshak_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:16:49 -0400

Hi Christopher, it's documented that you can use an NFS mount for external files, in the RAC documentation (Because external files for RAC must be accessible by all instances) :

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e48195/postinst.htm#CHDEFBAG
> If your Oracle RAC database uses files that are external to the
> database, then the external files should be located on shared storage
> that is accessible to all nodes. Each node should use the same mount
> point to access the file. Acceptable shared file systems include
> Database File System (DBFS), Oracle ASM Cluster File System (Oracle
> ACFS), Oracle Cluster File System (OCFS) for Windows, or a supported
> network file system (NFS).

Direct NFS is totally optional. It means that the Oracle database accesses the NFS server directly, instead of using the OS kernel's NFS client. To use it, you have to relink with option dnfs_on: cd $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib; make -f ins_rdbms.mk dnfs_on . I have never used Direct NFS with external files or seen it used for that, only with datafiles. With datafiles there's a performance boost.

If you're interested, the dNFS instructions are in the 11.2 DB platform install guide under "postinstallation tasks". Not sure offhand whether it's available on all platforms, definitely available on Linux.

-Natalka

--
Natalka Roshak | RAC/Storage BDE
Oracle <http://www.oracle.com/index.html>Global Product Support