Re: limited trial version of Delphix for instant database cloning

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:14:57 -0500

Given the following scenario, can you share some answers/ideas to the questions that follow. This should be "on topic" I believe as related to leveraging this as a support function of the Oracle DBA group - or working in conjunction with a development/change management group.

QA Environment at code release x.x.3
Production at code release x.x.2

Production is updated to x.x.3

Some additional changes still reside in QA however that are not in Prod.

  1. How can we preserve the differences in the QA environment when we want to create a new QA VDB and replace the prior one - that is, does Delphix provide that capability to generate a set of differences scripts to be replayed after the new VDB is created to bring the objects up to speed with the latest changes, OR would that be a function of the DBA/Dev teams to capture the changes prior to creating the VDB and replaying them manually?
  2. How does Oracle licensing fit into this with VDBs?

Sincerely!
Chris Taylor