Re: Different owners for Oracle Home and Grid Home

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 19:37:16 -0600

I am finding that some organizations are starting to properly train their storage admins and sys admins to handle their infrastructure portion of the stack.

I've trained Storage Admins in advanced ASM for a while now, and they are definitely picking up that stuff. Bring in Exadata Storage Cells and Expansion racks, and they are in their league, whereas many DBAs in these classes struggle with why track placement matters on spinning disk and how disk partitioning (creating griddisks) is important.

I've had Sys Admins in my Oracle Clusterware (GI) classes, as well as RAC and Exadata classes, at least 6 times over the past 2 years as well. In fact, this week 1/4 of my Exadata class is sys admins. Good sys admins just 'get it' in terms of max connection rate when I explain that a new database connection request in dedicated server end up spawning a new process.

Separation of duties, or getting the right person for the job, is happening, at least in some sectors.

I'm also finding that may shops that struggle with different owners still let their admins log on (or su) to user oracle for routine work. Seems like people really don't understand setgid either.

/Hans