Re: Change database character set

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 13:29:04 -0500

Check out:
Changing the NLS_CHARACTERSET to AL32UTF8 / UTF8 (Unicode) in 8i, 9i , 10g and 11g (Doc ID 260192.1)

In the meantime, you probably have a couple of options. You can run the character set checker utility and see if you have any data that wouldn't convert cleanly. If everything would convert cleanly then you can convert in-place.

To export the data, you would export it in P1 characterset, (set your NLS_LANG variable to match the db), recreate the db, and import the data back in leaving your NLS_LANG set to P1 and the database will convert the character information to the appropriate code page (I think that's the way to do it but read over that MOS document above to be sure).

Regards,
Chris Taylor