RE: backup to tape when using ASM

From: Ruel, Chris <Chris.Ruel_at_lfg.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 18:07:25 +0000

If you go this route, make sure your tape software supports backup and restore to ACFS. For instance, Tivoli does not list it as a supported file system for backups to tape. I ran into this problem with Netbackup a few years as well (not sure what version). Anyway, nowadays, maybe there are fewer problems but just thought it worth mentioning.

Chris..

Chris Ruel * Oracle Database Administrator * Lincoln Financial Group cruel_at_lfg.com<mailto:cruel_at_lfg.com> * Desk:317.759.2172 * Cell 317.523.8482

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Freek D'Hooge Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 3:28 AM To: ckaj111_at_yahoo.ca
Cc: Don Seiler; oracle-l_at_freelists.org; sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com Subject: Re: backup to tape when using ASM

You could write the backups to local disk if you want or to NFS if you want a clustered filesystem. But if you want to make use of your asm disks, you could create an ACFS filesystem and use that as a backup location. That would allow you to make use of your asm disks and to backup to backupsets to tape using normal filesystem backups without having to copy them first.

Kind regards,

Freek D'Hooge

On ma, 2014-10-20 at 13:44 -0500, Seth Miller wrote: Chris,

I'm assuming you were not previously using RMAN to write the backup files to tape. You were most likely using a third party backup tool to pull the files off disk and write them to tape (very common). This is still possible but as Don mentioned, you first have to get a copy of the files from ASM to a file system.

The most efficient way is to do this is to duplex your backups; one copy going to your ASM disk group and the other to your clustered file system. The biggest advantage to doing it this way is that RMAN is now aware of both copies of the backup and can manage the retention for both sets of files so you don't have to manually manage the second set of files.

If duplexing is not what you are looking for, you can use RMAN to make a copy of the backup files from ASM to disk after the initial backup or use a database job to copy the files with DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER. Another option is to use asmcmd to copy the files.

Seth Miller

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Don Seiler <don_at_seiler.us<mailto:don_at_seiler.us>> wrote: You could still write the first backups into an ASM diskgroup and then later run an RMAN job to backup/copy that backup to a tape device (assuming you have the MML configured properly) or some other filesystem disk that would later be pushed to tape.

Don.

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Chris King <ckaj111_at_yahoo.ca<mailto:ckaj111_at_yahoo.ca>> wrote: Quick question I think.. For standalone databases, I've been writing rman backups to disk and then backing up the rman backup files to tape. Now we're using RAC and the backups are written to ASM disk. Is there an easy way to copy those backups written to ASM to tape? Or will I need to run the oracle rman backups directly to tape with netbackup?

Thanks in advance all!

--

Don Seiler
http://www.seiler.us

Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Lincoln National Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln National Corporation family of companies. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout. Thank You.**

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Oct 21 2014 - 20:07:25 CEST

Original text of this message