Re: Is filesystemio_options relevant when the database is on ASM ?

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 15:48:41 -0700

Hi Hemant,

1) Answer to your original question is - NO, in my experience I have not observed the setting of filesystemio_options to be relevant on ASM, if there is no other layer such as NFS underneath ASM. Frits has already alluded to this. The last time I did a test of this was on 10gR2 many moons ago, when I observed identical system calls by trussing and dtracing DBWR and foreground processes (without NFS).

2) There is an associated note - Physical Corrupted Blocks consisting of all Zeroes indicate a problem with OS, HW or Storage (Doc ID 1545366.1), which may be of interest to you (if you have not already seen it). Basically, the note states that corrupted "zeroed out" blocks definitely => an issue in the underlying OS/storage layer.

3) The reason why I mention the above is that, I have set filesystemio_options to SETALL in the past 12+ years till date (even on ext4) and have yet to encounter the issue mentioned in Doc ID - 1487957.1. I hope I have not jinxed the good run ;) It is quite possible that I have been lucky ALL this time to not encounter the error, but I think I am leaning on the side of Doc ID - 1545366.1, which clearly indicates that I have worked with some good Sys & Storage Admins, who got their part done right :)

Having said the above, it is also comforting to note from Doc ID - 1487957.1 that the following Linux releases fixes this "OS/storage layer issue" on ext4:

1) Oracle Linux version - kernel-uek-2.6.39-200.29.3.el6uek

2) RHEL5 - kernel-2.6.18-238.el5 - RHEL5.6 Errata RHSA-2011-0017 or later
3) RHEL6 - kernel-2.6.32-71 or later

Cheers,

Gaja

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha,

CEO & Founder, DBPerfMan LLC
http://www.dbperfman.com
http://www.dbcloudman.com

Phone - +1 (650) 743-6060
LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/in/gajakrishnavaidyanatha

Co-author: Oracle Insights:Tales of the Oak Table - http://www.apress.com/9781590593875
Primary Author: Oracle Performance Tuning 101 - http://www.amzn.com/0072131454
Enabling Exadata, Big Data and Cloud Deployment & Management for Oracle