RE: sysdba

From: Deas, Scott <Scott.Deas_at_lfg.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 17:46:44 +0000

You can run the following to verify, but you’re logged in as SYS right now:

select upper(sys_context('userenv','session_user')) session_user from dual;

Thanks
Scott

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Joshua Collier Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 1:42 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: sysdba

I must have missed something in my years as a DBA, such a basic thing as understanding this.

  1. 11.2.4
  2. logged on as oracle on the database host machine ( oracle home and binaries OS owner)

sqlplus /nolog
connect /as sysdba
create user test identified by test;
grant create session to test;
connect test/test as sysdba;
connected

I am not sure I understand why this user can connect as sysdba without having been explicitly granted the SYSDBA power? Is it because I am logged on to the server as Oracle? Is there a machine setting to change this? documentation is proving sparse on this subject, or my googlefoo has been found lacking.

thanks for your time,

Josh C.
Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Lincoln National Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln National Corporation family of companies. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout. Thank You.**