Re: Is filesystemio_options relevant when the database is on ASM ?

From: Frits Hoogland <frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:35:00 +0200

Hi Hermant,

With version 11 ASM (ASM needs to be available on the node where the database lives), and when using Exadata, filesystemio_options is NOT relevant to the database processes when using files (redo, data, temp) on local ASM managed devices. I am not sure with version 12, probably the locality between the device and the ASM instance which it manages is relevant.

When using NFS underneath ASM, I've witnessed filesystemio_options being honoured by the database, which means it needs setting it to 'setall' for the combination AIO+DIO. Which makes sense, because you need to create a file on a (NFS) filesystem to be used as ASM disk device.

Frits Hoogland

http://fritshoogland.wordpress.com
frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com
Office : +31 20 5939953