Migrate databases to new servers and storage

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 16:09:27 -0600

Current Environment: Solaris 10, EE 9.2 through 11.2 New Environment: Solaris 11, no change to the Oracle versions Databases range in size from 8G to 3T.

Over the next 5 months we will be moving our production databases to new servers and storage. The consultants working with use (no DBAs) have proposed the following method for moving the databases:

1.  create new databases on the new servers
2.  create an export of the current database
3.  import into the new database
4.  copy archivelogs to the new server
5.  use RMAN to recover the new database
6.  Consultants didn't address this - what do we do with standby
databases? Not every database has a standby.

This is really high level, but is this the best way to migrate the databases? For the smaller databases that do not have a lot of DML or a standby, I don't see this as problematic. Am I mistaken? What have others done? Our downtime window for any one database is 4 hours.

The other oracle DBA and I have considered two other possible options: 1. import through a dblink
2. create a standby on the new server and switch it to primary during the downtime window

Are these really valid options for us to consider?

Appreciate your suggestions and thoughts.

--

Sandy
GHX

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Oct 16 2014 - 00:09:27 CEST