Extent size on RHEL 5 vs 6

From: D Kenl <dkenlwork_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 12:36:41 -0500

We need to migrate our various Oracle servers (database, warehouse, web server) from RHEL 5 to 6, so have started testing. One difference I noticed on the install is that RHEL 5 defaults the LVM physical extent size to 32 MB, while RHEL 6 defaults it to 4 MB. With RHEL 5 I just went with the default size, but now that I see a different default for 6, I'm wondering if one is better than the other in terms of Oracle? I did find some sites which mentioned that Oracle frequently requires a specific LVM extent size for better IO performance, but I can't find anything specific in Oracle documentation, MOS, etc that refers to this. Does anyone know what extent size is preferred for the various Oracle setups (database, warehouse, etc), or what documentation would at least specify this? Or does it differ depending on your environment? TIA for any info!

Deborah