RE: New policy on Oracle Certifications

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 23:08:03 -0400

  1. Sounds like a maintenance fee to me.
  2. I hope all y'all saved your fine print when you paid for those exams. I just hope there is some promise about your certifications being visible on CertView so you can have a class action suit.
  3. Back in ancient days I did the "CDP" exam, so I'm entitled to tack " , CDP" on the end of my name. They have since changed the tests and certification labels. I don't use that TLA, but I could if I felt like it. Mainframes were the dominant deployed hardware when "CDP" meant something. Certain folks would know you had to know something about business, verifying that processing was correct, and knew what the words "fiduciary responsibility" meant. Those certain folks were often involved in hiring, especially for companies like banks and insurance companies, where the big data of the day was.
  4. Ever since I helped write the exam for DBA certification given by Education Testing Services for Oracle v7 and they gave me an "honorary" Certificate because I was therefore not eligible to take the exam, I've refrained from Oracle testing other than getting it right for my customers.
  5. If Tanel Poder and all the other Oracle Certified Masters decide not to show up and take new exams, that will not diminish my high regard for them in the least.
  6. Did I mention this smacks of money grubbing? Disappearing history? I'm generally anti-litigation, but someone ought to sue someone over this if they make stuff disappear that you paid for.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mckay-dirden, Michael (Student) Sent: Friday, October 10, 2014 1:12 PM
To: fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com; Ronan Merrick Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: New policy on Oracle Certifications

You can still say you're 9i OCP but once it expires it won't be visible on certview so if an employer asks for proof you can't unless you have a hard/local copy.

At least that's how I interpret "You will lose access to your certificate and logo on CertView if your credential becomes inactive"

Regards,
Mike

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Ronan Merrick <merrickronan1_at_gmail.com> Sent: 10 October 2014 17:32
To: fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com
Cc: Oracle-L Freelists

I have to say I did not really get this.

Are they saying that if you are a 9i OCP and call yourself an OCP you will not be able to do that anymore? I thought it goes without saying that your cert is tied to the version of the software you achieved it with.

If I was going for a job I would always say 11g OCP. I hope to get the 12c OCP next year. I thought it was implied that continual certification was a given.

On 9 Oct 2014 20:13, "Hans Forbrich" <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com> wrote:

FYI - from https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/1055_01

"The Oracle Certification Program is implementing a recertification requirement for our Oracle Database Administration credentials."

Just giving people a heads-up ...
/Hans