Re: New policy on Oracle Certifications

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:33:22 +0100

It would be nice to know what you need to do to upgrade as well. Yes there's a link to the recertification requirements, via the usual education.oracle.com go to this page to find a link to this page to .. . When you get to the pdf though, it suggests that for your 9.2 example the upgrade path is 2 exams and therefore 2 fees. If however you go through the 12c certification upgrade tab, you only need one exam to upgrade, this was in a press release when 12c came out. It would be nice if the story could be straight (and the recertification was a single step).

I'm all in favour of what real professions call CPD <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuing_professional_development>. I'm not sold on continual re-certification, nor am I convinced that a multiple choice test reasonably measures how current I am with industry trends and best practices.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com> wrote:

> 1) I agree that if you don't care about certification, don't do it. If
> it doesn't prevent you getting work and you don't see value in it,
> ignore it.
>
> 2) If you were certified in an old version and don't want to upgrade,
> don't. I see no problem with you putting OCP DBA 9i on your CV because
> you were. Kind of like me putting PhD Genetic Engineering on mine. I
> don't do it any more and I can't remember much about it, but I did do
> it...
>
> 3) If you put "OCP DBA" on your CV in the hope that you will fool
> people into thinking it is a current OCP, when in fact you are only
> OCP for 9i, then this is wrong.
>
> I think aging out certifications is a good thing. Red Hat have been
> doing this for some time now. According to that article on The
> Register, VMware do it too. I think it is good to know if the
> certification is recent or not.
>
> What's more, this is not all that terrible a bind. By the time the 11g
> OCP is retired it will have been valid for about 7 years. Doing a
> certification once every 5-7 years is way less of an issue than the 3
> year cycle RH has.
>
> What bothers me more is that the certification exams cost about 3
> times the price they did when I started taking them. Apart from Houses
> and Petrol, not much else has increased in cost that much... :)
>
> Cheers
>
> Tim...

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA