Re: VMWare and Oracle IO

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 15:24:05 -0700

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been investigating a client database or two that have been
> experiencing IO problems since being virtualized via VMWare.
>
> SA's claim no IO issues, but we have seen an Oracle IO take up to 3.5
> seconds.
> Seems slow to me.

Does not seem to be an issue with storage.

Following conference call with VMWare support.

The ESX version is 5.5.1

5.5.1 has NFS issues, which this client uses.

5.5.1 is subject to APD 'all paths down' forcing an NFS disconnect/reconnect

Another issue is power management on the HP server. It is set to balanced and should be 'high performance'

This can be seen in extop when you see CPU's with near 100% util% but almost 0 used%

Three things to do

  1. update ESX
  2. change power management
  3. update NIC drivers (2 versions behind)

My money is on the NFS issue for most of this.

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Principal Consultant at Pythian
Pythian Blog http://www.pythian.com/blog/author/still/ Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com