RE: OT: Reasons to NOT write an Oracle book

From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 15:50:29 -0700

I agree 100% that one must have the right expectations. Unfortunately, it is not in the publisher's interest to advise you that: You will hardly make any money. A lot less if you have co-authors.You will make mistakes and the reviews will make you cringe.The publisher is more interested in schedule than quality. If the publisher was up front, fewer would undertake the exercise. Iggy

Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 17:16:29 -0500
Subject: Re: OT: Reasons to NOT write an Oracle book From: sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com
To: iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com
CC: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Iggy,
The value one expects from authoring a book will determine whether it is worth the effort. Yes, it is a lot of work and it will be stolen by many. But in my case, I do it for the name recognition, the experience and the opportunity to produce something that will help a larger audience that I could otherwise reach. So is it worth the effort for me? Absolutely! I certainly have not done it for the money so what do I care if it is stolen. I let the publisher worry about that. There are mistakes in every book. That's what errata and second editions are for. Every author I have contacted about mistakes has been grateful for the feedback. If someone rips into you because of a technical mistake in your book, it's not credible feedback anyway and deserves to be ignored. How many times have I put up incorrect information on this list (hopefully not too many)? I have yet to have any listers attack me for it. They usually politely inform me that I am wrong and I graciously accept and learn from the criticism. The publisher's job is to produce a product and make money. Of course, they are not concerned about how much time you want to spend with your family. The solution to this is to have the right expectations of the process and a relationship with the publisher. I would recommend that a first time author find co-authors that have experience and established relationships with publishers. Becoming an author isn't for everybody and I think your experience proves that, but I would absolutely encourage anyone willing to put in the work to become an author. Just make sure you have the right expectations of what it means to author or co-author a book. Part of the reason that IOUG teamed up with Apress to form IOUG Press is there is a natural relationship between Oracle users and technical books both as a reader and a writer. Seth Miller

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

Dear list,
I've revising my beginner DBA book for 12c and can' t help thinking about the reasons to NOT write a book. Here are a few. It's not worth the effort. The market is saturated with books; so much information is available online that nobody buys many books nowadays; your book will be pirated on the day it is published; it will be obsolete very quickly; prices are low unlike college textbooks and much lower in emerging markets; the royalty is 10% of the wholesale price--not the list price--and has to be shared by all the co-authors. You'll be lucky if your book sells 5000 copies over a five-year period. Assuming that the list price is $40 and the wholesale price is $20 and that you have one co-author, and that you spent 500 hours writing and researching, you are literally getting paid minimum wage for your effort. Writer beware. You will make terrible mistakes that will haunt you for ever. In my case, I made a horrible mistake on page 22 of my book that was soon discovered by a beginner who was testing every line of code for himself. Some of the reviews will make you cringe. You will wish that you had reviewers BEFORE you finished the book, not after the book was printed. To you work and family commitments come first but, to the publisher, the book comes first. To you quality is everything but, to the publisher, the schedule is more important and I quote "It is better to go to market first with a good enough book than to be months late with a perfect book. A successful good enough book can be improved in a second edition. A failed perfect book is simply a failure. Schedule matters to your publisher. Variable pay is the norm. Missed quarterly and yearly targets can cost your editor and others whom you work with hundreds, even a few thousands of dollars. Those same missed targets hurt the business too." On the plus side, you can send a copy to your mom and she will show it to all her friends. That off my chest, I would appreciate any help in reviewing the first drafts so that I can put out a better book. Comments on accuracy as well as clarity and readability would be very welcome. I will post the finished chapters to Google Docs so that anybody can make comments inline. I will be very grateful for help and will acknowledge all those who helped in the preface. Please let me know if you can help. Kindest regards,Iggy