Re: course for DBAs in bureaucracies?

From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 12:05:32 -0400

This isn't about 'oracle' its about organizations and working in them. I'm one of those loser DBAs with an MBA. There are a number of business/organization books on this list. He had a very good blog for a long time. Though its for 'developers', we live in similiar worlds.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/FogCreekMBACurriculum.html

2 that are not on the list.
Article: Why the VASA Sank. Tom Kyte wrote about this. I think I first mentioned it on the list about 10 years ago.

From my MBA program this is by far the best book I read http://www.amazon.com/The-Goal-Process-Ongoing-Improvement/dp/0884270610

First off, its not a good novel. Characters are terrible. Story is contrived. Prose is mediocre. Its about process improvement in a factor. Its about moving away form using meaningless ratios to looking for bottlenecks. Its basically like saying 'look at the events in oracle instead of the cache/hit ratio. Reminded me of Cary Milsaps book. Its the same thing. Really easy read too. Alot of your managers may have read it.

Dont hate me too much for having an MBA... there were actually alot of techies in the program. It was probably 25% techies and people in the construction industry (went during the housing boom).