oracle and hadoop exploration

From: max scalf <oracle.blog3_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 09:35:09 -0500

Hello list,

our DBA team(including myself) are exploring Hadoop. Our company(consumer product goods) is a pretty decent size company (revenues about 18-20 billion) and we are a big SAP shop here with all big bells and whiles (SAP Hana running for few modules) but we also want to explore Hadoop as a new option.

Where we are struggling is, some of the business folks do want to start putting some data in Hadoop echo system and see what value they get out of it but DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR POC. So our department came up with a idea of doing a small POC(maybe a 3-4 node cluster) with the data we have in hand. What i mean when i say "data we have in hand" is, awr performance data, syslogs from unix* server, windows event log on windows server, whatever a DBA can get there hands on(except the business data)...

So here i am reaching out to community and see if anyone else have a similar problem and what they have done about it? Maybe a good use case mining AWR performance data(from 100's of oracle system) on hadoop or something like that.

I understand hadoop is not the answer to replace your traditional RDBMS but we are just trying to step into that big data world and do some POC, so the business can also jump in.

Any thoughts or suggestion or good use cases ??