patching ASM PSU -- single instance

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 11:24:44 -0400

ASM - 11.2.0.3 -- non RAC

I've always patched ASM GRID_HOME (non RAC) using the database psu. I patch asm first with opatch apply and then switch to the db home and use the same patch. It's always gone smoothly, no issues, upgrades are always smooth. opatch lsinventory shows the correct PSU information. I'm thinking I've only patched the db component of ASM and never the grid component.

I'm investigating using OEM for patches and I brought in the PSU and it didn't bring up ASM as a potential target. So this is making me question my whole PSU strategy for ASM on non-rac systems.

Looking at the GI PSU the documentation seems to be better now in that opatch auto (as root) should patch both GI and DB home in a single instance environment.

Am I correct in my thinking?