RE: LGWR switching statistic

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 20:06:59 +0000

>> Is there a database statistic available that can tell how many times LGWR switched redo log files? <<

No, there is no statistic for this. There are however as mentioned views which record the log information such as the SCN covered at time of switch. You can easily get the desired answer with a query.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Hameed, Amir Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2014 1:22 PM To: Mayen Shah; Chris.Ruel_at_lfg.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: LGWR switching statistic

Thank you. I was trying to find out if there was any DB statistic available for LGWR that might not require looking at the archive log history. Thanks

From: Mayen Shah [mailto:mshah_at_travelclick.com] Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:42 PM To: Chris.Ruel_at_lfg.com<mailto:Chris.Ruel_at_lfg.com>; Hameed, Amir; oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: RE: LGWR switching statistic

v$archived_log also will give you when the archived log was generated, which is at every logswicth (assuming the database is in archivelog mode)

  • Mayen

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Ruel, Chris Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:37 PM To: Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com<mailto:Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com>; oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: RE: LGWR switching statistic

I am not sure if there is a standard for how far it goes back (documentation probably states) but V$LOG_HISTORY can be used to calculate overall switches and frequency. Often I use this view to pinpoint times of the day that have frequent switching. Mine seems to go back pretty far in most cases several months.

Chris..

Chris Ruel * Oracle Database Administrator cruel_at_lfg.com<mailto:cruel_at_lfg.com> * Desk:317.759.2172 * Cell 317.523.8482

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Hameed, Amir Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:25 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: LGWR switching statistic

Hi,
Is there a database statistic available that can tell how many times LGWR switched redo log files?

Thanks,
Amir

Notice of Confidentiality: **This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Lincoln National Corporation proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to the Lincoln National Corporation family of companies. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout. Thank You.**