IMPDP parameter TABLE_EXISTS_ACTION with REPLACE or TRUNCATE

From: Kim Berg Hansen <kibeha_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 15:27:12 +0200

Hi, all

Might be a fairly basic question, but since I'm more developer than DBA, I'll ask anyway ;-)

I've got a former colleague who in his present job has a colleague that seems to have made a mistake.

An expdp dumpfile with a set of tables has been impdp imported to an Oracle 10g database.
I've been told it was some "point-and-click" operation, but whether it was in Enterprise Manager or Toad or whatever, I don't know.

But I know that the result was, that some tables now are empty that had data before. Those tables were empty in the dumpfile.

So I can guess that the "point-and-click" must have resulted in an impdp job that had parameter TABLE_EXISTS_ACTION set to either REPLACE or TRUNCATE. If it was REPLACE, impdp will have performed a DROP TABLE. In that case a FLASHBACK TABLE xxx TO BEFORE DROP will recover the data, right?

If it was TRUNCATE, there is no other way than point-in-time recovery from backup, right? Truncate saves nothing to redo/undo/archive-logs. (And they just discovered the last valid backup was from 2006 - ouch!)

I cross my fingers for my former colleague that it was REPLACE that was picked.
But in case it was TRUNCATE, is there anything at all that might help him recover the lost data?
(Probably not, but clutching at straws ;-)

Regards

Kim Berg Hansen

http://dspsd.blogspot.com
kibeha_at_gmail.com