RE: course for DBAs in bureaucracies?

From: <rajendra.pande_at_ubs.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 12:08:43 -0400

Is this a sequel to catch 22 J

Will be a good one for "Major Major Major Major,....."

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Iggy Fernandez Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 12:03 PM To: ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: course for DBAs in bureaucracies?

re: shutdown

It doesn't matter how you shut down as long as you have a standard operating procedure (SOP) in your operations manual. The problem arises when there is no SOP or the SOP is not followed.

How do you shut down a database?

  • Is it Windows, Linux, or VMS
  • Is it 7.3 or 12c
  • Is it RAC, Exadata, etc
  • How do you get access to the system (e.g. VPN)
  • What are the passwords and directory structures
  • Will the application automatically connect upon restart or will an application bounce be required
  • Whose approval is needed
  • Who has to be informed
  • What is the SLA
  • What about business-critical jobs in progress (do we even know what data loading or reporting jobs run and when)
  • Is there automatic restart or failover if you shut down

etc etc

Please visit our website at
http://financialservicesinc.ubs.com/wealth/E-maildisclaimer.html for important disclosures and information about our e-mail policies. For your protection, please do not transmit orders or instructions by e-mail or include account numbers, Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, passwords, or other personal information.