RE: User equiv and "oracle" lockdown

From: Herring, David <HerringD_at_DNB.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 16:26:05 -0500

Np. Here's the link I was sent: https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/s2-ssh-configuration-keypairs.html. This link just shows changing over from password authentication to using pass phrases that are good only for your current session.

Unfortunately I'm in an environment where any DBA access is guilty until proven innocent. I tried to convince them that locking down a system that isn't even fully functional, much less not having any front-end access is rather silly but they wouldn't budge.

Dave Herring

From: Seth Miller [mailto:sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com] Sent: Monday, September 22, 2014 3:32 PM To: dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net
Cc: Herring, David; Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: Re: User equiv and "oracle" lockdown

I would agree on posting the documentation they are citing. There are very few methods of authentication that are more secure than shared-key and I doubt they are proposing any of them.

If security is the issue, there are all kinds of fruit within reach to start picking rather than trying to reach to the top of the tree for this issue.

Seth Miller

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 3:02 PM, Dimensional DBA <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net> wrote: I would ask them for the specific Red Hat documentation. I have been in many discussions with Linux teams and found their documentation to be old or not specific to Oracle and normally there are specific ones to Oracle that states how you must do things.

If you have the specific documentation they are using can you share the Red Hat note numbers. I would be more than happy to pull you the Red Hat documentation.

One Example is
https://access.redhat.com/sites/default/files/attachments/oracle_11gr2_on_rh el6_0.pdf

4.2.9 Security Settings and Recommendations Best practices for initial set-up for database security are straightforward, but ongoing
security-or security as a process-is more difficult to summarize. Briefly, use root powers
sparingly. Oracle has separated and grouped root actions; e.g., a small set of pre-installation
tasks and a small set of post-install fix-up scripts. Do not use application accounts as your
normal account; that is, log onto the database host as a non-generic, named user (jqbach, for
example), and when database tasks are needed, use sudo or su to switch to the application
(oracle) account.
These extra steps require discipline to follow (because the alternatives require fewer
keystrokes), but the benefit lies in preventing accidents that might cause significant amount of
time to correct, and in providing a simple log of who has done what and when.

Matthew Parker
Chief Technologist
425-891-7934 (cell)
Dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net
View Matthew Parker's profile on LinkedIn