RE: Optimized redo log access

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:31:35 -0400

So if you use external redundancy you are left to whatever feature set is contained in the volume manager controlling your storage.

When using external redundancy the storage is presented to Oracle as a single logical entity, so there are not alternative plex handles for which Oracle could set a preference.

Within the black box you present to Oracle as external redundancy there may or may not be controls depending on the functionality of that volume manager. If you have built volumes with mixed loading and capabilities within an external volume manager, that is something I don’t think Oracle should even try to manipulate. Rather, that is for either the DBA or the DBA, network, and storage teams together to work out to best advantage.

Likewise, when you are managing everything with ASM, this is why it is usually most productive to give Oracle “luns” that are whole single disks or whole single trays to managed without attempting manipulations at the native volume manager level. Essentially you either manage nothing but the naming and allocations to disk groups or you manage everything in ASM. Very likely if you try to manage these things from both sides simultaneously (often by two or more distinct persons) you will end up working at cross purposes.

Of course convincing storage teams and network teams why things allocated to Oracle shouldn’t be used even intermittently for other or competing purposes has always been the tricky part.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of amihay gonen Sent: Monday, September 22, 2014 3:08 AM To: K Gopalakrishnan
Cc: Mark W F; Jeremiah Wilton; xiangdongzou_at_gmail.com; ORACLE-L Subject: Re: Optimized redo log access

this feature is applicable only to normal or high redundancy and not external redundancy :(.

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 4:11 AM, K Gopalakrishnan <kaygopal_at_gmail.com> wrote:

All--

Starting from 12.1 , ASM "Even Read" feature automatically sends the read request to least loaded disk groups. So if the OP's objective is to distribute evenly , then the functionality is already in the kernel.

-Gopal

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com> wrote:

yeah, ping ponging online redo groups was standard operating procedure back in the day.

I think the person asking has members on disks with dramatically differing loads, so he wants arch to use the member on the less busy drive.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jeremiah Wilton Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2014 4:12 PM
To: Mark W. Farnham; xiangdongzou_at_gmail.com; 'agonenil'; 'ORACLE-L'

Subject: RE: Optimized redo log access

Amihay pointed out that I probably meant group instead of member.

JW

From: "Mark W. Farnham"

Date:08/17/2014 6:13 AM (GMT-08:00)

To: xiangdongzou_at_gmail.com, 'agonenil' , 'ORACLE-L'

I also do not know a way to make the archiver read a preferred member.

However, you may be able to get the read from a preferred physical disk depending on your volume manager.

In ASM this would be by setting (or your preference being the default) the asm preferred read failure group as shown in this example from the manual so that your preferred read is the first one:

alter system set asm_preferred_read_failure_groups = 'DG2.DG2_0000','DG3.DG3_0000'

In some other volume managers there are possibilities for influencing or controlling the preferred read of a volume constructed from plexes on different physical media.

The starting point recommendation for multiple members is they should be on media of similar capabilities and load, so the archiver (unless they slipped it in when I wasn’t paying attention) does not directly have a toggle for preference by member.)

Good luck. (Of course feeding arch is the reason some folks put redo on SSD, while benchmarkers run around “debunking” the idea of redo on SSD because they can show it does not speed up writes to compared to isolated physical HD volumes when they compare to flash SSD [not battery backed DRAM SSD] with arch turned off.) Removing arch reads from your diskfarm by relocating redo to SSD will in fact “deheat” your disk farm and remove the competition for seeks for writes and bandwidth for arch reads. Since redo is usually small relative to the database disk farm, this may be cost effective, depending on your situation.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of xiangdongzou Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:27 AM
To: agonenil; ORACLE-L
Subject: 回复: Optimized redo log access

archiver process can't read only special member.Oracle decicde which

member shoulde read.

2014-08-17

I AM AN ORACLE FANS! Skype:Frank.oracle