Re: Maximum number of Oracle instances on Windows

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 14:53:43 -0500

First, I'm a big fan of both Windows and Linux servers. There are things to like/dislike about both.

The memory shouldn't be a problem. How many intensive operations/sessions will be running concurrently will be the bigger issue (applicable to either windows or unix).

You'll really need to think about job processing - batch cycles that kind of thing where many processes are running concurrently on the server because you'll need a system with CPU capacity to handle the amount of concurrent processing you might require.

The other thing (perhaps the biggest thing) is to think about Windows patching. It is much more necessary to patch the Windows OS because of security concerns. This is going to require regular downtime per month if you want to patch monthly. That's often the biggest issue for a lot of companies when deciding between the two.

As far as the OS kernel itself, I'm not sure if either is more efficient at the machine code level at managing memory and context switching. Linux gives you more control (or influence) in tweaking the system but also with that capability comes the risk of mis-tuning the system and causing problems.

Don't know if any of that helps or not but some food for thought I hope.

Chris

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Schauss, Peter (ESS) <peter.schauss_at_ngc.com