Re: Backups versus snapshots

From: Keith Moore <kmoore_at_zephyrus.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 17:52:50 -0500

Hmmm, taking a snapshot of the data guard database as well would eliminate some of the issues. And no solution is 100% guaranteed to not have data loss. Even with backups you can lose data if the database needs to be restored, the archive logs are also gone and some of those archive logs have not been backed up or transferred/applied to the standby.

To be clear, the snapshots are not physical copies of the database. They only track the differences between the database at the time of the snapshot and the current time. So if the database goes poof then the snapshot is gone as well.

When we asked the EMC guy about this, his response was…well, if that happens there is this website called monster.com where you can post your resume. I want to make it clear that he was not proposing this as an alternative to backups, just discussing the technology and how it worked.

Keith