Re: encrypted filesystems for database files

From: Kenny Payton <k3nnyp_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 06:05:35 -0400

We typically do encryption in our SAN array ( Hitachi ). We are in the process of testing a SoftLayer cloud deployment and are building a SAN based on commodity hardware using EMC's ScaleIO software which has an encryption option at the volume level. The storage servers have SSD's in them and we can easily saturate a single 10gbit link doing writes with very little cpu consumption on the storage server. So far I'm pretty impressed by ScaleIO.

We're also using TDE in a small environment but haven't stressed it at all to tell the real overhead. Of course the cost is a hard thing to swallow.  There was a post recently on this board that stated ACFS is now free. I'm pretty sure it has encryption options also but not for sure if they are also free but might be worth looking at.

Kenny