RE: ALL_SYNONYMS versus USER_SYNONYMS

From: Chitale, Hemant K <Hemant-K.Chitale_at_sc.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 10:47:10 +0800

Interesting !

Hemant K Chitale

From: "" <dmarc-noreply_at_freelists.org> (Redacted sender "yong321_at_yahoo.com" for DMARC) Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 11:03 PM To: Chitale, Hemant K
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: ALL_SYNONYMS versus USER_SYNONYMS

> I have developers who prefer to use the ALL_% views (e.g. ALL_TABLES)
> even when I tell them to use the USER_% views (USER_TABLES).
> Must be something in their prior experiences that "taught" them to use
> the ALL_% views !

Actually, at least in 10gR2 (I think it's 10.2.0.4), I find that all_tables or dba_tables where owner='...' is cheaper in buffer gets than user_tables. I documented the whole story here

http://yong321.freeshell.org/oranotes/User_tablesVsAll_tables.txt

Not sure if that's true of xxx_synonyms or whether that's still the case in 11g and up.

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete all copies and notify the sender immediately. You may wish to refer to the incorporation details of Standard Chartered PLC, Standard Chartered Bank and their subsidiaries at https://www.sc.com/en/incorporation-details.html.