RE: 12c pluggable database shared SGA question

From: David Kurtz <info_at_go-faster.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 18:24:52 +0100

PeopleSoft apps on an Oracle DB essentially live in a single schema. It used to be supported to have multiple PeopleSoft 'databases' in a single Oracle database by installing them in different schemas. It complicated things like backup and tablespace utilisation and people tended to make a mess of things, so it hasn't been supported since we were all using Oracle 8i.

Multi-tenant looks very attractive for PeopleSoft (I am still waiting for someone to go there). Take the staffing companies as an example - they have 5 databases: HR, Financials, CRM, EPM and Portal. They could be consolidated, and you can better manage the load of heavy batches (eg Payroll and T&L in HR -v- Financials). A single redo stream is no problem, because you would never consider recovering or cloning them other than as a set because of the application messaging between them.

regards

David Kurtz