Re: encrypted filesystems for database files

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:11:28 -0400

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_hp.com> wrote:

> Isn't that what Tablespace level TDE basically does for you?

Sure, if you want to pay for it. :)

I'm familiar with one case where a customer did this, but it was a off-site standby database which really existed more as a backup than a standby. It was not intended for actual failover. I haven't yet run a live production database on os-level encryption. It would most likely work, but I wouldn't expect equal performance to db-level encryption. If you've got a small app and you don't want to pay for encryption then it may work fine for you. If the business & database grow then it may eventually be worth buying advanced security for the db. As always, those sorts of decisions are very dependent on your specific situation and even then they're not usually black and white...

-Jeremy

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider