Re: Database environment change management

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:33:17 -0500

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 9:23 AM, Jeremy Schneider < jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 9:25 PM, Peter Sharman <pete.sharman_at_oracle.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Of course, I just had to say I disagree with you about EM. ;)
>>

> Thanks Pete. <g>
>
> Honestly I've had some really good experiences with EM. The team building
> it has done some great work, especially in recent updates over the last few
> years. And for the record, at the customer I referenced on another
> oracle-l thread (two-person dba team, over a thousand apps, highly
> consolidated) - OEM was an integral part of their operations. They relied
> on it for monitoring, paging, administration. Didn't really consider
> lifecycle management, but that was mainly because there wasn't a business
> case for that level of automation yet; so they never did any kind of
> technical evaluation. Wikis were used for documentation and ansible/svn
> eventually got used for OS config management - mainly because it was free
> (OSS), started very small, and slowly grew in use over a long time. They
> had their share of frustrations with EM but it was solid for the core stuff
> they used. My biggest frustration was that they didn't have anyone on staff
> who knew anything about middleware (because this was the only thing that
> used oracle middleware in the whole company). And the OEM deployment by
> itself didn't quite justify hiring someone or dedicating someone to
> middleware. So there was a big knowledge gap when it came to understanding
> the product.
>
> In the end, I've got very mixed and sometimes self-contradictory opinions
> about OEM. I kinda love it and hate it simultaneously on occasion. :)

thought i'd forward this reply to the list, just for the record :)

i really wouldn't dissuade anyone from choosing EM if they felt it was a good choice, and I sometimes assume it's obvious that anyone with oracle software would seriously evaluate it as an option. especially the parts that come free with database licenses you already own!

-J

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider