Re: Failover to DG physical standby

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2014 14:48:31 -0600

A lot depends on the kind of apps, and whether you have a failover infrastructure. If the apps connect using TNSNAMES.ora you might have an easier time of it than with JDBC, but that is version dependent.

The GI can help, as it can send out messages of impending doom - look for Fast Application Notification and RAC Callouts. Some use other clusterware to handle this.

Another variant is TAF -
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/oci/taf-10-133239.pdf

Virtual IP relocation or DNS management, similar to the way SCAN works, might be useful.

Big topic - Have fun ...
/Hans