RE: Definition of Top Class DBA

From: Zelli, Brian <Brian.Zelli_at_RoswellPark.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 12:08:45 +0000

I once interviewed with a guy who told me he was one of the “top 10” DBAs in the world. When I was done with the interview, his Director asked me if I was impressed with this guy saying that he asks the hardest questions in the world and his interviews are tough. I said no, he’s the biggest asshole in the world. It was 2 hours of all about him. Gee, didn’t get the job nor wanted it at that point working with that ahole. Oh, and they fired the guy 2 months later……..

Brian

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Niall Litchfield Sent: Friday, September 05, 2014 2:55 AM To: Kumar Madduri
Cc: oracle Freelists
Subject: Re: Definition of Top Class DBA

I'd also look at the wording they use to describe themselves. Many organisations describe themselves in similar terms, there's plenty of examples in of all places the University sector whom you'd expect to know better. It's most likely that using wording like this tells you something about the organisational culture.

As to what makes a good DBA I'm pretty certain it boils down to clear & logical thinking, good communication, determination, understanding of basic computer architecture and lots of practice. It helps if unexpected and bad things happen to your systems along the way, though that isn't a great answer in an interview generally :) On 4 Sep 2014 04:43, "Kumar Madduri" <ksmadduri_at_gmail.com<mailto:ksmadduri_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Hello:
In several job postings, key words like 'Top Class DBA', 'World Class DBA' and other such adjectives are used. While every organization wants those kind of DBAs, how do you define it or measure it. I may be a 'Top Class DBA' at my place but 'Lowly DBA' for some other org or some other DBAs and vice versa (I could be lowly dba where I am but could be top class where I would get a job). I think words like 'Top Class DBA' intimidates me (personally)..

I am probably opening a pandora's box here but wanted to get the opinion of elite members of this group.

Thank you
Kumar

This email message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this email message is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this email message from your computer. Thank you.