Re: buffer advisor

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 07:37:55 -0400

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM, Ls Cheng <exriscer_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone used buffer cache advisory in 10g or 11g to size a production
> buffer cache? If so how good is the advisor recommending the cache size?
> Did the recommended cache size meet the physical reads reduction goal?

I regularly reference the advisory, figuring that it will give some useful information about the impact of changing the cache size. But I usually compliment that with some knowledge of the app. (what's driving I/O now?  how large are the segments? what's the small table threshold going to be?) Seems to me like it always lays out a fairly smooth curve, so it's just one person's opinion about where that curve is. In my experience I don't think it's been very accurate for any significant change (50% or more either direction).

Lately I've gotten a lot of benefit by configuring a large keep cache for the handful of I/O intensive segments bigger than the small table size but small enough to fit in the buffer cache. ymmv.

-J

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider