Re: buffer advisor

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 17:50:03 -0500

Seth,

Really? I have run into a few situations where the advisor undersizes the buffer cache significantly in favor of the shared pool because of the workload of the application.
I've got a db right _now_ that has a 128MB buffer cache and a 20GB shared pool that AMM resized because of the workload :)

Obviously, the solution to this is to set floor (minimum) values for shared_pool_size and db_cache_size but it still amazes me that ASMM/AMM will significantly undersize the buffer cache when the workload uses a lot of SQL that isn't reuseable.

And I clearly recognize that the workload is suboptimal (lots of SQL with literals and a few other things) that favor a large shared pool, and my only point is that it isn't uncommon for the automatic memory resizing to size the buffer cache to an absurd size :)

Chris