Re: RMAN report need backup unexpected results

From: Dragutin Jastrebic <orahawk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 12:57:11 +0200

I figured that I would use "report need backup" to determine if there is an issue and alert via email however I tried the following as a test...

> RMAN> report need backup recovery window of 30 days;
>
> It came back with nothing. I do not have backups old enough to support
> recovery to a point in time 30 days back so am wondering why the "report
> need backup recovery window of 30 days;" did not list all of the data
> files? The functionality is described in the docs as follows...

<<

From the tests that I have done of "report need backup recovery window n days" this command
simply tells you what are the datafiles that do not have a full backup inside the window you have asked.
So this command is not a real recoverability test.

This is exactly your case , you have asked on 30 july a report need backup recovery window of 30 days but
you have backups on 14,15 july, since there are inside the asked window , simply nothing is listed.

If you have executed a report need backup recover window of n days where n gives you some date later to 15 july, it would list all your datafiles.

Also, if you delete some archivelog needed for the recovery inside your recovery window you won't be able to recover anymore, however report need backup recovery window of N days won't tell you that.

So, again, this command can't be trusted as a recoverability test.

HTH Dragutin