Re: MS SQL Server vs Oracle, MySQL or MongoDB

From: Ryan January <rjanuary_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 12:52:05 -0500

>"The other reason is probably the shop does not have unix sysadmins"

The only releases I had to support on windows were 10.1 and 10.2, but it didn't leave a particularly bad taste in my mouth. The bugs we did run into were generally cross platform. We definitely didn't run into anything that would prevent me from at least considering it as a possibility.

If it was Oracle or MS SQL on a windows box, I'll choose the lesser of two evils.

Directly answering the question; many architecture decisions are driven by familiarity. If you have plenty of .net developers, they'll likely have a preference for MS SQL and a traditional DBA is brought into the fold after the decisions have already been made.