Re: MS SQL Server vs Oracle, MySQL or MongoDB

From: Matthew Zito <matt_at_crackpotideas.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 13:25:57 -0400

This is a big question, with a lot of loaded implications, so I'll try to be matter-of-fact about it. People choose SQL Server for all kinds of reasons, many of which are debatable as far as their being fact vs. opinion:
  • "SQL Server is cheaper than Oracle, but more reliable than MySQL"
  • "It's easier/cheaper to hire SQL Server DBAs than it is to hire Oracle or MySQL DBAs"
  • "I like having a GUI, adn the SQL Server GUI is a lot easier to use than the Oracle EM GUI"
  • "We're microsoft partners"
  • "We're more comfortable in Windows than we are in Linux/UNIX"
  • "We acquired a company with a big SQL Server presence"
  • "We buy a lot of COTS software that supports SQL Server"

and so on. It's rarely just a cost factor.

Note also that while MongoDB is cool and has a variety of things to recommend it (as well as a bunch of other alternative datastores), Mongo is not really a comparable replacement to SQL or Oracle or MySQL or any RDBMS basically.

Thanks,
Matt