Re: Oracle RAC on VM

From: John Piwowar <jpiwowar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 08:07:49 -0700

I hear this argument often, and when I do, I encourage people to consider:
  1. if you open an SR and Oracle thinks it's a hardware or OS problem, they will likely direct you to the HW/OS vendor. No reason to expect anything different with hypervisor problems.
  2. If *Oracle* is your HW, OS, or hypervisor vendor in a situation where one of this components of you stack is suspected, you can expect your SR to be moved to an appropriate group. It's not "one throat to choke," it's a hydra. ;-)

I'm a fan of virtualization in principle, but like any platform/infrastructure decision, it's not a one-size-fits-all solution. The licensing issue, already discussed in the thread, is a legit concern with VMWare, but people also find a way to either live with it or work around it. Performance *could* be an issue, but you really don't know that until you run some tests with your workloads and can quantify the differences. Then you (as an organization, not Kevin ;-) get to decide if those differences are significant enough to impose the operational overhead of introducing an exception to your strategic direction. Your best bet is to be prepared for a data-driven discussion. :)

This is coming off sounding a bit lecture-y and jerky, and I apologize. I blame email, lack of coffee, and typing with thumbs. ;) Good luck with the decision/exploration.

--
Sent from a mobile device, because leaving the couch to find a real
keyboard would unnecessarily delay this vital communication. So would